I’ve been getting catalogs in the mail with the best gift ideas for the upcoming holiday season. One had a T-shirt that stated “Sometimes when I open my mouth my mother comes out.” Can anyone relate?
I love my mom and lately I’ve noticed myself sounding more like her. For instance, this week as I’ve been helping my son read bigger words I’ve said, “Just say the sounds that are on the page, don’t make up additional sounds.” Oh my! That was me as a kid. I drove my mom crazy and now history doth repeat itself!
The other day the same son asked to use the big people scissors and when I went to use them later that day they weren’t in the drawer so I yelled, “Would you please put the scissors back where you found them.” Again, a very popular phrase while I was growing up. I’ll blame hearing that phrase as a kid on my big sister!
My parents were pretty good about being prepared for the holiday season. They provided my sister and I with wonderful holiday memories that I treasure now that my dad is gone. I’ve taken their tricks and added to the list of simple tools that they always had handy.
If you are a mom, dad, grandparent, aunt, uncle, cousin or anyone else who will be around kids and their toys during the holiday season, get these 5 tools out now and put them somewhere handy (that you will remember where you put them) and get ready to enjoy the holiday festivities.
Old School: Toys weren’t locked down like Fort Knox so unless it had assembly required, no tools were needed.
- Today: Toys are packaged in the most remarkable ways. It takes several intelligent people to get them out of the packaging let alone to put them together. You will need to have a few different types of screw drivers available to battle any toy that comes your way.
Old School: You had a piece of tape that packaged the toy together or a large sticker that wrapped around the socks.
- Today: Toys have each individual piece packaged behind a shield of plastic. I find that scissors do an amazing job at cutting plastic on toy containers as well as cutting those annoying ties that hold socks together. I’ve ruined several articles of clothing by trying to tear them off or worst yet bite them off rather than just using a pair of scissors.
Old School: Each part of the toy came in a plastic bag.
- Today: Even the bag is “firmly” attached to the piece of cardboard inside of the box. If scissors can’t cut the plastic on the toy packaging, pliers will do the trick.
Old School: Records and Cassette Tapes were loosely wrapped with a bulky piece of film.
- Today: The shrink wrap on DVD cases and other small items requires a PhD to get any part of the film off of the package. It nearly drives me crazy because it takes so long to get a piece started so I’ve found that a utility knife or X-acto knife will do the trick. They often have retractable blades unlike the kitchen knife I know you probably have used in holidays past!
Old School: OK….admittedly, my dad liked his power tools. If he could find a way to use them on Christmas Day he was all about it.
- Today: Like Father, Like Daughter….. I keep the Ryobi drill handy during the holiday season for the bigger toys that may need assembled and I want to speed the process up with some power.
Here’s a little plug for Ryobi Tools (and I’m not getting paid for this although when they do call, I will certainly promote their products for these reasons!)
- The batteries are interchangeable across all their cordless power tools. That is golden technology! It saves you time trying to fit the right battery into the right tool.
- The Ryobi 12V Lithium battery drill is very light weight. It is the perfect tool for small projects that you would take a long time if you use classic screwdrivers by hand.
I hope that you have a wonderful start to the holiday season and be sure to sign up for the free updates when we post additional tools to have handy for the kitchen, tools for travel, and tools for everyday.
The FUN starts here!
Click the Pink button for FREE checklists & videos to help with your DIY Home Improvement & Decor Projects.
Our speciality is TEACHING each step so you can complete your project with ease!!!!
CLICK the pink button NOW please..