A galley kitchen renovation was top priority for me before we moved into our house.
Our old house sold in 10 days so we had to work fast so that we could move in before our closing date. This galley kitchen was not sufficient for a family of four. This project was started and finished in 30 days. Did we mention that we also moved in during the same 3o days? Crazy! We don’t recommend this, but we made it work!
The good thing was that our galley kitchen was pretty small. Everyone got in on the action to tear down the walls and add on some space.
We decided to enclose the back porch to extend the galley kitchen. I like to cook and the galley just wasn’t large enough.
Support beams were added and the left brain meticulously measured the floor and installed a sub floor to go over the existing back porch slab. We rented a insulation machine from Lowe’s to blow in insulation both in the new ceiling and under the sub floor.
There has been a great deal of thought for the conversion of this duplex into a single family house. We have entertained the thoughts of the galley kitchen becoming a bottom floor laundry room when the other half is complete or a second kitchen for a baking business.
Either way, we installed inexpensive oak cabinets and painted them with Annie Sloan paint. That was a process I doubt I’ll do again in the new kitchen but you can read one of my earliest posts on that project here.
Once the demo of all interior walls was complete, we installed a new beam to support the area under the removed exterior wall and then we enclosed the extension.
We were glad that we installed a door with full glass window panes. When we extended the depth of the kitchen 8 feet (but before the door and window was installed), the galley initially felt very dark. We added the window to the left of the door to allow more natural light into the room.
After the extension was sealed and weatherproof, we went to work on the interior design of the galley kitchen. We kept the exact floor plan but with the extra room, we were able to add counter space and an extra area for the appliances.
While the walls were gutted, we updated the existing wiring and installed additional outlets to accommodate appliances and added an exterior light fixture.
This is a really old house with several quirks. We learned a great deal about adding and adjusting new structure when it is attached to an older flawed or crooked section. It was a challenge to match and establish a level floor but after many ideas and attempts, we decided on floor leveling cement to level the gap where the new floor started and the old wall once existed.
Once the insulation was in place, the kitchen really started to take shape. We added drywall and subcontracted this stage of the renovation to someone with better technique than us. I was busy shopping for flooring, paint, and light fixtures.
We installed a new heating duct and vent in the new floor and then prepped the kitchen floor for new laminate planks.
I’ve got to admit, it was wonderful to finally have a nice floor in the kitchen. This laminate is good for an area that is wet and has a ton of foot traffic. After a year, it has shown signs of wear so we will complete the additional renovation with a different product that we will gladly share with you in a later post.
We have already removed all the walls on the other side of the duplex. After doing this galley kitchen, we’ve decided that there will be no more extensions on this house. We plan to upgrade the existing structure and tie it into the half that we have already renovated.
We would love for you to join us in our journey and enjoy the room tours as we complete each room of this Victorian House.